We are currently looking for Adult Puppeteers.
Are you looking for a volunteer opportunity that provides the winning combination of puppets and kids? Discover the joy of animating these interesting puppet characters for eager young audiences. You’ll love the reaction you get from the children! Join our puppeteer troupe – no experience in puppetry skills necessary. Puppets, training, information, guidance and support will be provided.
Pre Hiring Requirements:
- As you will be performing and interacting with children, a Police Record Check is required.
- Must have regular access to a car, and be able to drive in all seasons.
- Requirements include a strong speaking voice, upper body strength and a love for performing. There is a fair amount of physical exertion required so strong arms and knee joints are a definite advantage.
Approximately 6 hours every two weeks. Additional hours will be required for training and practice.
On-going/More than 1 year
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate with your troupe in scheduled performances within the greater Ottawa area
- Attend training workshops and participate in ongoing training and improvements
- Memorize necessary scripts and related disability information
- Willingness to be a team player and to help other KOTB puppet troupes when needed (e.g. filling in for a puppeteer who is absent due to illness or scheduled time off)
- Must practice, learn lines and to manipulate puppets well. All training will be provided.
- Must be able and willing to respond to children’s questions, based on training and information provided.
- Each member of a troupe will be required to store, care for and transport some puppets and equipment.
- No experience necessary, but must be willing to learn and practice.
- High level of motivation and commitment
- A strong desire and commitment to promoting disability awareness
- Ability to work as a team member
- Have a flexible daytime schedule
- Ability to memorize scripts and answer questions on disability awareness, with training
- Access to a computer with internet connectivity and basic computer skills required
- Access to a car and ability to provide own transportation to and from performances
- Bilingualism (English/French) considered an asset
How can I volunteer?
If you wish to apply, there are two methods:
- Download the KOTB Puppeteer Application Form in Word, fill it in on your computer, and email it as an attachment to KOTB: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the KOTB Puppeteer Application Form, print the form, complete and mail it to the address below.
|Ottawa-Carleton Puppeteers for KIDS ON THE BLOCK c/o Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre 395 Smyth Road Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L2
We thank all applicants for their interest in Kids on the Block Ottawa; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.